Still Looking for Alternatives to Google Reader…….

Since I found out Google Reader is going away in July (Wah!!!) I have looked into other readers. I had around 100+ blogs that I was checking regularly with Google Reader but now I am a bit behind on my blog reading because I so dislike logging into some of the other alternatives.

So, I am looking into Bloglovin now. I found out from Emily at Calico Stretch I need to “claim” my blog so I am doing that now (Thanks Emily!)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I am bummed that Google took out the menu option for easy access to the Reader. Sheepishly, I admit that I still Google “Google Reader” and log in to read other blogs. I need to get over it and move on. Especially now, after the April Fools Joke by Google about  shutting down You Tube. So not funny…

About Javie

I am a scientist by training but an artist at heart. Currently going to grad school for more 'practical' training. I love to sew, cook and craft so this is my journal of my more artistic experiments.
This entry was posted in Misc and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Still Looking for Alternatives to Google Reader…….

1. Anne W says:

why don’t you just migrate all those blogs to your wordpress reader? it took all of about 2 minutes to do, all automated.

• Javie says:

I considered that. I do have many of the WordPress blogs I follow on the WordPress reader. I still like the Google Reader format though where you can just see a list of title subjects. It was scary how efficiently I can scan 100+ blogs within a couple of minutes and read most of them. With the WP reader, I have to scroll through and click around to read the posts. I guess it takes some getting used to.

2. Sewbussted says:

There are a few blogs that I read via bloglovin and I really like it. I don’t even have to think about it as I am notified via email when a blog is posted. For me, it makes it really easy.

• Javie says:

I have the e-mail option turned off right now. I was afraid of getting overwhelmed with e-mail. I’ll give it a try along with some other readers and see how they all shake out.

3. Emily says:

Oh man I’m still procrastinating lol. And bloglovin’ isn’t doing it for me either …. Sigh. Thank you for the shout out m’dear🙂

I have a couple of months to go yet right!!

• Javie says:

I know what you mean. Also checking out Feedly and it’s just OK. I hope better options will pop up within a few months.

• Oh my I’ve been offnet so long that I forgot about Reader being binned in a little over 2 weeks. Oh. Um. Well, so I’ve just got on with it and am now using The Old Reader (google it – lol). It looks and feels like Google Reader, was easy peasy to migrate to and so far so good.

Have you stuck with Feedly? Something else? I didn’t like the thought of having to download stuff / plugins etc onto my laptop and TOR didn’t require that either ….

• Javie says:

My computer crashed last month and I managed to fix it by loading some old settings and other VooDoo. But I now get all kinds of weird error messages with Firefox and Chrome. So, since Feedly only worked with those I can’t access Feedly now. Thanks for the tip- I’ll need to check out the Old Reader. I am woefully behind in my blog reading (and posting)!

• The only thing about changing readers is I now have something like 1800 new posts to catch up on. Its my fault really for subscribing to so many blogs. Sigh.

• Javie says:

I know what you mean. I think I’ll hit the “mark all as read” button and start fresh.

• Probably what I’ll end up doing too but I don’t like leaving data on Google. Dunno why LOL. Paranoia is king right?

4. Trice says:

I am a huge fan of Feedly. The transition over from GR was smooth, it moved all my save for later over. I like that I can customize it to my mood as well. I also like the category option. You should give it a try.

• Javie says:

I may have another go at Feedly. I was accessing it through Firefox but maybe it is different with Chrome? Still need to download and add the plug-ins.

5. heheheh saw this yonks back but was on my iphone and didn’t comment (the keyboard is a pain). I did the whole jumping back to reader for a while then I switched to Feedly.😄 It’ll do till Digg come out with their version. The whole social media aspect of the former annoys me. I wanna read stuff not socialise dammit. There’s a time and place for everything😄

• Javie says:

Hee hee- I am still ashamed to say I still do (I have 2 weeks though!). But my computer crashed last month and I can’t get Chrome or Firefox to work right so Feedly is out for me. I’ll check out Digg when it is out. I agree with the social media stuff too- I just want to read blogs and not share or forward stuff. I get enough spam already so don’t want to do it to others!

• Lady, make sure you transfer over your Google reader stream (or at least export it as an xml file-tutes on Google) if you wait till Reader dies you may not have a way to migrate your feeds to Feedly or anything else =S

• Javie says:

Thanks for the reminder- it’s no fun to re-subscribe to everything. Just did the Google Takeout thing today. Ready for the next new thing.