I have had all kinds of problems with this dress so I decided that this will be a wearable muslin what I will use to practice/elevate my sewing technique. I underlined the fabric using Susan Khalje’s technique in the April 2011 issue of Threads magazine. The batiste was cut, marked and hand-basted to the wool pieces. The basted unit was then treated as a single fabric when sewing. Below are pictures of the underlined bodice.
I had problems with several seams puckering on the skirt. How irritating! These are straight seams and should be easy to whip though! The thought of ripping the seams out and redoing them raised my blood pressure and I was just about to abandon the dress. Then I remembered a tip that could be a potential save. I thought the seam puckering was due to cheap fabric or fabric thickness but I recently read a tip on the Gorgeous Things blog that I might try to see if this eliminates the puckers. The tip is to “always sew from wide to narrow”. I think the tip is originally from Susan Khalje. This is an A-line skirt so that means I should sew from bottom to top of the skirt. I’ll rip out the skirt seams and try the tip and post the results later. I tossed the dress in my sewing “to do” pile. Once I finish the red dress, I have the perfect fabric to use for another dress. I recently acquired this pretty Ellen Tracy wool blend from SR Harris Fabric Warehouse and thought it would look great made up in the dress. The black diamond weave looks like the fabric used in the Burda magazine picture but in smaller, more stylish scale for me.
On to my next project- McCalls M6172 jacket muslin!
I am just starting a tailoring class and have to make a jacket muslin for homework. More to come…