I have always wanted to make something from the Burda Style magazine. I am familiar with the big 4 patterns but have never made anything from a magazine before. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. This dress was my first attempt at Burda.
I traced dress #125 from the August 2011 issue. What a pain. I wish that there weren’t so many styles and sizes printed on the same sheet of paper. Maybe there is an easier way to trace these.
I then made a muslin since I am petite and this pattern was for a giant person. Surprisingly, I only had to do a few minor adjustments to get the fit right despite the size difference. Here are pictures of the front and back of the muslin.
Some modifications I made to the muslin:
- Let out side seam allowances of the bodice about 3/8″
- Took in side seam allowances of skirt to reduce fullness (5/8″-7/8″)
- Reduced length of scarf
- Raised neckline about 1″ (needed to adjust at sleeves also)
- Raised waistline at the bodice
- Shorten the skirt length (typical for me)
Whew! So far so good….. Now to cut the real stuff!